Knitting dishcloths are my thing right now. They’re easy to make, the yarn is cheap, and I like the way that they look. It is a very easy knit and watch tv project. For my most recent craft swap I am knitting a few for my partner. Since she is a Texas girl at heart stuck in New Mexico, I thought it might be cool to knit her a Texas dish cloth.
After doing some pattern research on ravelry, I found out that, thanks to creator Rhonda White, there is a dish cloth pattern for each of the fifty states. Therefore, I am embarking on something purely ambitious: A 50 States Dish Cloth Project. Let’s see if I can blow Sufjan Steven’s 50 States Album Project right out of this great country of ours.
All the patterns are located on Rhonda’s Website for free.
Texas is already taken (which is a shame because its the only state where I actually know a few people), but all other states, including Massachusetts, are available. If you’re interested in joining , the steps and rules are below:
1. You must live in the state requested.
2. No duplicates.
3. You can request a color, but it may not get filled.
4. Optional: It would be awesome if you mailed me something “local” in return. If you want to craft something yourself, thats awesome. There is no need to reciprocate, but it’d be cool!
5. I am going to follow the patterns as they are so please don’t request changes to it.
Steps to Sign Up:
1. Email 50statesknit at gmail dot com with the state as the subject.
2. In the email please include your address. This will cut down on my inbox and make it more manageable.
I will email you back if you are the chosen one.
I really want to make this project a reality. It would be awesome if after you receive your dishcloth you pose for a pic with it and email it to me for this blog. That would make my happy.
I will be crossing the states off of this list as they are claimed.
(Note: I do have quite a few new projects to post, but I can’t find my camera adaptor)